Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Last Bartender update...

It's been a while, I know. Maybe I should say a little something about the book I've been working on. The Last Bartender is a dystopian thriller — another one of my "Oh my God, what have I gotten myself into!" books.

Set in the near future, it features Justin, an Operation Enduring Freedom vet who returns home to work as a bartender for a few years in a local watering hole. Rising nationalized healthcare costs and other do-gooder factors lead to a new prohibition on alcohol, and all bars are closed and retail alcohol sales are halted and criminalized.

Justin and his friends buy a rundown, Catskill resort - the Brookwood - and set up an ambitious bootlegging operation, supplying keg beer to the New York city area. We've got mob elements, friendly local law enforcement, marijuana-spiked beer, a drunken DEA agent with an ax to grind and a former Army sniper. You figure it out.

The manuscript now stands at 70,000 words. Looking forward to a safe landing sometime this summer. Zee ya...

No comments:

ShareThis