Sunday, May 23, 2010

This is what a 350 lb. per square inch bite looks like...

In Little Birdies!, there was some discussion of the relative biting power of various species. Humans clock in at about 100/150 lbs/sq. inch, dogs at 300, maybe 320 lbs./sq. inch. A big Hyacinth Macaw, like Big Max in the book as well as the one shown below, can bite at about 350 pounds per square inch. This is what that looks like:


I was cringing while watching this. It's so obviously dangerous for the bird; one of those steel bars could easily have snapped back into the bird's eye or head and ... well, I guess we wouldn't have seen the video then, would we? I would have removed him immediately and let him live on a playstand or something until I could get an adequate cage in there for him.

That aside, I think this is a great, if unfortunate, illustration about how these large parrots are wild animals in every sense of the world, and that inviting one into your home is a major undertaking and commitment. How long do you think your living room or bedroom furniture would stand up against that beak? Don't get me wrong, I love companion parrots, but you have to remember: it's always all about the bird.

Anyway, FYI, a big snapping turtle has a bite of approximately 1,000 lbs./sq. inch, while a big crocodile can top 2,500 lbs./sq.inch. The discussion in the book continues on about the bite of a rather powerful, unknown creature that has been spotted in the area. Check out the excerpts to get started...

2 comments:

FURB said...

I've long wanted to get a parrot, but I knew that they were a huge commitment, so I've stayed away. Maybe when my life calms down a little bit I can get one. After seeing this, I'm even a little more wary of getting one.

Anthony F. Lewis said...

This particular bird is a Hyacinth Macaw, the largest parrot in the world. They're extremely pricey ($10,000/$15,000 each) and likewise expensive, demanding and difficult to care for properly. So what you're seeing here is the extreme end of the spectrum.

Consider a budgie (parakeet) or cockatiel instead. They're easier to care for, and definitely more family and budget-friendly. And there are plenty of small to medium-sized species to look into (lovebirds, conures, Parrotlets, senagals, Brotogeris, etc.). Do some research, decide on a particular species, then do a little more reading into that particular type of bird's needs (diet, cage size, social interaction, toys, noise levels, etc.). A little research up front will prevent any unfortunate surprises after it's too late...

ShareThis