Wednesday, June 24, 2009

More secession talk from Beck...

You know, I sent Glenn Beck a copy of The Third Revolution a couple of months ago. Not that I'm taking credit for his interest in the subject; the guy works about twenty hours a day, so I'm quite sure he hasn't gotten around to it yet. Hope it does, though ... it would be right up his alley.

So here's another group that's had enough. Interesting that 12% of registered Vermont voters support secession. I think the number in Texas (after Gov. Rick Perry's statement on the subject) is about 35% in support of secession. Support for our Revolutionary War ran about 40 - 45%, so there's a ways to go before any serious momentum gets build up, though I suspect that government-run health care and cap-and-trade will go a long way towards pushing the movement along.





Here's the transcript if you'd rather read than watch.


2 comments:

nan said...

I don't believe the "people" have much say about secession. I believe that comes from each State's legislatures. And because of "follow the money", I don't think any State is going to cut themselves off from receiving Federal Money (our money) The State of Arizona has to reword one of it's laws so they don't lose 130 million dollars in federal funds. I know they are going to amend the language and take the money. As long as government makes money available to the States, secession is not going to happen........Americans are not that strong. I wish it weren't true, but even 45% of the population wanting secession is not the majority and even though it sounds like a good course of events to end this insanity, I don't think it will happen in my lifetime and I'm 60 years old.

Anthony F. Lewis said...

You're right about the state legislatures, of course. In my book, The Third Revolution, it's the election (that would be the people's input) of a radically-libertarian state legislature that gets the nullification ball rolling. The fed's response -- as you suggest -- was to cut off the federal money.

But, that was a novel and, like yourself, I'm not holding my breath...

~ AFL

ShareThis