Thursday, July 30, 2009

Noodles' diet improvement...

I brought Noodles, the lovebird, home on June 7th, so about seven weeks ago now. She was four months old at that time, and had been brought up eating nothing but an inexpensive, bulk cockatiel mix, which looked to me to be mostly millet, with a few safflower and sunflower seeds thrown in.

I immediately started feeding her a high-end mix (Great Companions Premier - she only ate the safflower seeds for about a week or so - I checked every day - but started taking bites out of other stuff after a while) and was putting out fresh greens for her (as I do with my finches every day). It took a few weeks, but now she eats romaine lettuce, broccoli, fresh corn (that took a while) and, as of today ... she took her first bite of sweet potato. She also enjoys Avi-Cakes and Nutri-Berries, so I've been backing off on the seed mix and letting her eat more of those.

That's on top of the pine nuts that I carry around with me all day...

No comments:

ShareThis