Thursday, November 12, 2009

1970 Model S Norton...

This is a beautifully restored example of a 1969 Model S Norton Commando 750. Mine was (is) a 1970, but it's essentially the same. When I got it, mine had a similar blue metal-flake tank, and the tips of the upswept pipes had been sawed off for a little added sound. And I always loved that little ventilation opening on the front drum brake. The brakes on that bike barely worked at all; luckily it was one of the best handling motorcycles ever made, so I just made a habit of accelerating around obstacles instead of trying to stop in front of them. Worked every time...


I eventually got my hands on a burnt-up 1972 Norton, which turned out to have a Combat engine on it. I swapped engines and mounted the traditional roadster exhaust pipes, replaced the leaky Amal carburators for a pair of Mikunis, painted the tank a high-gloss black, had Vic Kessler do the gold pinstriping on the tank and side plates and proceeded to terrorize Flushing. Oh yeah, and there were those flat black headers. Vroom - vroom...

No comments:

ShareThis