Monday, July 05, 2010

In the company of giants...

We've all watched those big Hollywood and music industry award shows where someone shoves a microphone in a nominee's face so they can predictably declare that "...it's an honor just to be nominated."

Like many, my (admittedly cynical) reaction is frequently; "Yeah, right!"

As many of you may already know from my recent Twitter-storm, my latest novel, The Last Bartender, was nominated as a finalist for the Freedom Book Club's book-of-the-month. The honor of that nomination was soon amplified when I realized the company I was in. Also nominated were Ray Bradbury (for Fahrenheit 451) and Robert Heinlein (for The Moon is a Harsh Mistressand Brad Linaweaver & J. Kent Hastings (for Anarquia). 

I actually re-read Fahrenheit 451 earlier this year for the first time since high-school, so you could imagine my surprise when I found myself mentioned on the same page as Mr. Bradbury, and my book in competition with his timeless, iconic story. The same must be said of Mr. Heinlein, author of not only The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but classics like Starship Troopers and Strangers in a Strange Land, as well.

All that being said, I'm still not above asking for your vote. While I'm forced to freely admit that I'm not nearly as deserving as the competition, I definitely need the promotional exposure more than they do. Help me!

You can read a few sample chapters of The Last Bartender here, and purchase a copy here (very reasonably priced, I might add...). Thanks for your support, and many, many thanks to the membership of the Freedom Book Club for your recognition. It's an honor just to be nominated. And I mean it.

No comments:

ShareThis